This is a variation of the flourless sugarfree Almond Chocolate Swirl Cake. This cake is super refreshing with a burst of citrus flavor to give your morning a boost! It's also perfect as a on-the-go snack. :)
1. 1½ cup walnuts, ground
2. 3 large eggs, separated
3. ½ cup honey or maple syrup
4. Zest from 1 large orange
5. 1 cup roasted walnut pieces
6. 1 teaspoon orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F (or 191.5C).
2. Line an 8-inch square cake tin or spring form pan with parchment paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, using an electric beater, beat yolks, honey or maple syrup until mixture is pale and ribbony.
4. Add ground nuts into mixture and beat until well combined.
5. Clean and dry beater.
6. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture.
8. Fold in nuts and orange zest.
9. Pour mixture into a baking tin or spring form pan that is lined with parchment paper.
10. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.
Nutritional value of this recipe
This is a super healthy dessert. This recipe makes about 8 to 12 servings and each serving is only 220 calories (based on 8 servings). On top of that, you get a good serving of protein (7.7g) and selenium.