Ingredients (Makes about 12 medium puffs):
1. 220g (about 6 to 8 ounces) fresh salmon fillet, skin removed
2. 3 stalks of green onion, chopped
3. Juice from ½ lime
4. 1½ teaspoon white cooking wine
5. ½ teaspoon grated ginger
6. Pinch of salt and pepper
7. 1 teaspoon chilli powder
8. 6 sheets of phyllo pastry (3 sheets per set), thaw overnight and keep refreigerated until ready to use
9. 1 egg, beaten
10. Black sesame seeds (optional)
Method for preparing the salmon filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350F (190.5C).
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay salmon fillet on parchment paper.
3. Season salmon with white wine, lime juice, salt, pepper, chilli powder and ginger.
4. Seal parchment paper into a packet pouch.
5. Bake salmon in oven for about 15 mins and let cool.
6. Do not shut off oven.
Method for assembling puffs:
1. While salmon is cooling, chop green onions and put aside. Beat egg in a bowl.
2. Pour contents (including juices) from salmon pouch into a bowl and roughly mash salmon.
3. Add green onions and mix well.
4. Dust chopping block lightly with flour.
5. Roll out phyllo pastry and divide into sets of 3 sheets per set. For each set of phyllo pastry:
- Cut into 2 big halves, along the width (i.e. longer side). So now you have 2 sets of 3 sheets.
- Using a brush, apply lightly egg wash on one sheet of phyllo pastry.
- Place another sheet on top of egg-washed sheet and repeat egg wash.
- Place last sheet on top of egg-washed sheet.
- Cut stack of phyllo pastry into 3 equal strips (i.e. along the shorter side)
7. Place 2 teaspoons of filling onto one end of each strip. Make a triangle with the first fold and continue to fold until you reach the other end of the pastry strip. Seal the end with a little egg wash. Repeat this for all 12 strips.
8. Place puffs on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
9. Using a fork, pole once (to make 3 holes) on top of each puff. This will allow the puff to "breath" in the oven.
10. Brush the top of each puff with remaining egg wash for a golden color finish. Garnish with a few black sesame seeds if using.
11. Bake for about 20 mins or until puffs are golden.
Nutritional value of this recipe
This recipe makes about 12 medium puffs. This is a super healthy appetizer for a party, even superbowl because each puff is only a whopping low 80 calories with 5g of protein and a good source of selenium and Vitamin B12.