Deviled eggs or eggs mimosa are hard-boiled eggs cut in half and filled with the hard-boiled egg's yolk mixed with different ingredients, herbs and spices. They are usually served cold as appetizers or sometimes even as a main course. It is a very common holiday or party food.
This is my healthy version of the deviled eggs. :) I created the following recipe to showcase the delicate flavor of dill and the wholesome goodness of homemade mayonnaise. To accentuate the color of the dish, I added smoked salmon. The contrast of the colors of the ingredients also make this dish a super classy party dish. The fresh taste of dill also complements the smokey flavor of the salmon perfectly. The orange color from the smoked salmon against the fresh yellow color of the homemade mayonnaise and dash of green from the sprig of dill....simply amazing!
1. 20 to 25 eggs, hard boiled
2. 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
3. 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4. 2 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
5. 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (see homemade mayonnaise recipe)
6. Fresh dill for garnish
1. Boil eggs in a pot of water for about 20 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool before shelling them.
2. Cut each egg into half, lengthwise and remove egg yolks into a mixing bowl.
5. Cut one end of the ziploc bag and pipe mixture into the hollow space of each egg. Top each egg with a small serving of chopped smoked salmon and garnish with a sprig of dill.
Nutritional value of this recipe:
Only 89 calories per serving (2 halves = 1 egg) but boosts 6g* of protein!
* based on a 2,000 calories per day diet