Summer is finally here! Summer always make me think of citrus because they are the best thirst quenchers! So what better way to enjoy the "pineapple express" (not in the sense of its official definition) than to combine two of my favorite foods - pineapple and shrimp.
The sweetness from the pineapple accentuates the sweetness from the fresh shrimp, topped with fresh subtlely lemony Italian flat leaf parsley, this dish is definitely a kid's favorite. A super refreshing must-have appetizer for your summer BBQ!
Feel free to make this with smaller one-bite size baguettes. :) Woooooo......yummy!!!
Ingredients (enough for 3 to 4 serving portions as shown):
1. 1 cup shrimp, shelled and deveined
2. 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
3. 1 teaspoon homemade mayonnaise (or store bought mayonnaise is fine too)
4. 1 tablespoon Italian flat leaf parsley
5. Salt and pepper to taste
6. 3 to 4 half-inch slices of artisan bread (my favorite is 9-grain or whole grain)
1. Preheat oven to 275F and toast bread slices for about 6 to 7 minutes.
2. In the meantime, bring to boil a pot of water. Boil shrimp for 3 minutes and dish out on chopping block and cut into bite size cubes.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix shrimp, diced pineapples and mayonnaise.
4. Season with salt, pepper and parsley.
5. Top each slice of toast with pineapple shrimp filling.
6. Ready to serve (delicious both cold and at room temperature).
Nutritional value of this recipe:
One serving size of this delicious pineapple shrimp contains only 85 calories but boast 2.3g of dietary fiber, 4.3g of protein and 18%* of daily vitamin C requirements.
* based on a 2,000 calories a day diet.