This is my idea of the ultimate comfort food. No huss no fuss to make and makes your stomach and heart warm and fuzzy. This is like macaroni and cheese for me. I love tomatoes and I love eggs. This is an extremely easy way to put two of my greatest loves together on a single plate. Their marriage is definitely my blessing!
1. 1 medium tomato on the vine, diced (yields about 1/2 cup)
2. 1 large egg, beaten
3. 1.5 cups cooked pasta
4. 1 shallot, diced
5. Salt and pepper, to taste
6. 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
7. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
1. In a pot, bring to boil water to cook pasta. Once water comes to a boil, add pasta and salt. Cook for half the time as indicated on the pasta box. The pasta will continue to cook in the stir-fry pan later so do not cook to al dente in pot.
2. In a shallow saucepan, heat over medium heat 1/4 cup of water and shallots for about 2 minutes until fragrance of shallots is released. You will smell it.
3. Add tomatoes and season with chili powder, turmeric powder (if using), salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and cook covered for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Pasta should be done by now. Add pasta and 1/4 cup of pasta water into saucepan and stir well to combine. Cook covered for another 5 minutes until pasta is almost al dente.
5. Add beaten egg and cook covered over low to medium heat for 1 minute. Do not stir the egg while this is happening.
6. Remove saucepan cover and stir pasta to break up the egg slightly.
7. Ready to serve!
Nutritional value of this recipe:
At 470 calories for the entire serving, this recipe will provide you with 18%* of your daily required vitamin A, 16%* vitamin C and 35%* iron. It will also give you 6g of fiber that your body needs.
* based on a 2,000 calories a day diet