Spring has been pretty late this year. To extend a warm welcome to our long awaited Spring, I brought together the seasons most colorful creations - strawberries, mangoes, avocadoes and pears, in a lovely refreshing fruit salad. Creamy avocadoes with sweet mangoes and strawberries and crunchy pears. To complement the natural sweetness of the mangoes and the creaminess of the avocadoes, I made a citrus roasted sesame vinaigrette to go with this delightful little treat.
Ingredients (serves about 6 to 8):
1. 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced2. 1 lb organic strawberries, sliced
3. 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
4. 1 ripe Bartlett pear, peeled and diced
Ingredients for Citrus Sesame Dressing:
1. Juice from 1 orange2. Juice from 1 lemon
3. 2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
4. ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, dry roasted and crushed
5. ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme, rough chopped
6. Salt and pepper to taste
7. Mixed sprouted micro greens, for garnish
Method:1. Make dressing. Mix all ingredients for Citrus Sesame Dressing in a mixing bowl and whisk until a slight emulsion forms. Then set aside.
2. Dice mango and slice strawberries. Put diced mangoes in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Place strawberries in another bowl or plate and set aside.
3. Dice pear and avocado and add to mangoes in the large mixing bowl. Toss in a few tablespoons of the dressing. The citrus juices will prevent the avocado and pear from turning brown while you plate the salad.
4. Lay strawberry slices in a circular ring on a salad plate.
5. Spoon out a generous portion of the diced mangoes, avocadoes and pears and place in the center of the ring of strawberry slices. About 3 to 4 tablespoons.
6. Top with sprouted micro greens.
7. Then drizzle some of the citrus sesame dressing over the top.