Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blueberry Walnut Muffins

This is my very first shot at "converting" traditional recipes. :) My loyal friends back in Vancouver had to taste about 60 muffins before the right one came along. So I owe this to them and I cannot tell you how much I love them! (and yes, I mean both my friends and the muffins ;))

The recipe below makes about 12 large muffins. Try it and let me know what you think!


Dry Ingredients:
1. 2 cups spelt flour or oat flour
2. 4 teaspoon baking powder
3. ½ teaspoon salt
4. ½ teaspoon baking soda

Wet Ingredients:
1. 5 to 6 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
2. 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon egg white (equivalent to 1 egg white)
3. ¾ cup water
4. Juice from ½ a lemon
5. 1 banana, mashed
6. 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
7. ½ cup walnut pieces, dry roasted

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with big folds to coat dry ingredients with wet ones. Do not over-mix by stirring too much. About 10 to 15 strokes are enough.
5. Fold in fruits and nuts.
6. Fill each silicon muffin baking cup with the mixture to full.
7. Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
8. Best served warm.

Note:
Feel free to switch up blueberries with your favorite berries like raspberries or strawberries (chopped).

Nutritional value of this recipe
This recipe makes about 12 muffins. Each muffin is a very low 140 calories with high amounts of calcium, phosphorus and manganese.

1 comment:

Your Wonderful Sis said...

I want this.