Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chocolate Brownies

It's such a sunny day in Chicago today. I wish I could be outside, bathing under the sun but it's just quite cold. So I stayed in and started cooking. It's very therapeutic for me. Since it's Valentine's day tomorrow, I thought I will show myself some love :). So I decided to make some "brownies". Brownies with no butter, refined sugar or artificial sweeteners. The source of sweetness is high quality maple syrup :)


I re-made my Fudgey Chocolate Squares recipe today. This time around, I used oat flour instead of spelt and wheat bran. And it worked perfectly!! I am thrilled with the result. The texture is slightly softer and if you like a softer, more cake-like texture, try oat flour.

I still remember how my friends in Vancouver used to tease me about my naming my fudgey chocolate squares "brownies". Now, I am sure they will say this definitely lives up to the name "brownies"! I wish they were here to sample them.

Follow the same recipe for Fudgey Chocolate Squares. Instead of 1/2 cup of spelt flour + 1/4 cup of wheat bran, use 3/4 cups of oat flour. Also, if your oven doesn't have a broiler, don't fret. Just bake as normal for an additional 10 mins (that is, bake in oven for 40 mins).

Nutritional value of this recipe
This recipe makes about 10 servings of 3 cubes per serving. Each serving is about 210 calories with high amounts of manganese and iron (17%*).


* based on a 2,000 calories per day diet

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok now you’re talking—these are great! Can't tell they are not the normal sugar loaded version. Highly Recommended! It’s also been awhile since someone said not to fret. ; )

ellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ellie said...

I finally got around to trying this recipe - using oat bran instead of oat flour because I couldn't find the latter after hunting at all sorts of shops and supermarkets. I also used bitter chocolate in place of the unsweetened chocolate.

I'm not much of a brownie fan because of the usually over the top sweetness. But your recipe is awesome!