Sunday, July 25, 2010

Looking for that Bright Spot?

It's just been one of those times where you find yourself so swamped with happy things to do and when you think you really have enough on your plate, things not within your control happen and suddenly you realise you are still living a life, like every body else.

Life is full of ups and downs. Things don't go your way all the time. I was just talking to a friend the other day about some of the things I had to deal with these past few weeks. And she gave me a piece of good advice. Besides knowing how to say "yes", we need to know how to say "no" and be comfortable with it too.

So I was busy preparing for a Natural Sciences exam last week (for my culinary school) and I was getting quite stressed out because biology was never my best friend and I think it hates me. Physics too was a distant relative whom I never really wanted to keep in touch with. The only silver lining was Chemistry who seems to still treat me as a friend. So just when I thought I am starting to get a grip on these fantastic information, 4 days before my exam, the hot water pipe in my building, which happens to sit behind my paper-thin bathroom wall, miraculously broke. Yes....in the middle of my great endeavor to memorise the super long names of all the great stuff that make up the cells in our body. Then my bedroom started raining because apparently the water piping goes through my bedroom before heading downstairs.

My maintenance guy kept telling me that everything is fine and the repair works can be done real quick while I continue to live there. Well, I said "no". I can't possibly live there comfortably with all that work going on and also trying to study at the same time. So I had them move me out of my apartment for a few days to one of their guest suites so that my broken bathroom can be remodeled and my went wooden flooring can be replaced. I was less than enthusiastic about the whole move because all I could think of at that time was my science exam. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

The temporary place was a studio, smaller and without any of the distractions I have at home. So I find myself being able to study better. Now my bathroom is brand new and pretty awesome. I passed my exam and everything is happy again (well....for the most part). So you see...there's always a bright side to things, no matter how shitty (pardon my language) they may seem at first.

I never seem to have a lack of issues to deal with...not sure why. Hahahaha....And I am sure many of you feel the same way too. But just remember, you are always better off with a problem that has a solution than one that does not. Eventhough there are a lot of things in life that are out of our control, some of which make us happy and some of which make us sad. One thing is for certain; you can always pick yourself up, make time for yourself, doing the things you like to do and not doing the things that you don't want to do. Always remember that that much is well within our control.

Saw a pretty neat quote while looking for a great cartoon to go with this post.

"I may be weak but I am never defeated."

Stay tuned for more exciting recipes and nutritional information coming up!!!

Cheers........Kelly

1 comment:

Jen said...

OMG! That must have made you so frustrated! Well, I'm glad everything is good now. Take care!