Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Spicy Ginger Sesame Sauce
What’s a shrimp dumpling without a wonderful sauce? Here’s a quick spicy gingery sauce to go with the shrimp dumplings above. Another way to enjoy the health benefits of your Chinese spice next door – the ginger. Read more about this amazing tuber in the Everyday Living section.
Ingredients (makes about the amount shown in the picture):
1. ½ teaspoon garlic chili sauce
2. 1 teaspoon soy sauce (Reduced sodium preferred)
3. 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
4. 1½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
5. 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
6. 1 to 2 drops maple syrup (Optional. Use if you find the sauce to spicy)
Feel free to increase the volume of the ingredients to make more sauce. But be careful about the direct proportions of the chili sauce and white wine vinegar. Go slower on increasing the amount of chili sauce and white wine vinegar and taste at every addition of these ingredients.
Freeze your fresh ginger root beforehand for easier grating. Frozen ginger roots also keep for a longer time.